Tuesday, November 9, 2010

5 minute hummus



This recipe from Real Simple has been my go-to  hummus recipe for about the past 6 months. I whipped up a batch this morning, so I thought I would share it with you. It literally takes 5 minutes and is so easy you will feel guilty ever buying store-bought hummus again, and the best part is that it is one million times better- I promise. One taste and you will be hooked!




And this is the only hummus recipe you will ever need, because you can add more ingredients to change the flavor depending on your mood. For example, today I started with the basic recipe from Real Simple, left out the tahini  (I'm not a huge fan anyway), and added a 1/4 cup of chopped roasted red peppers from the jar.  In the past I have also tried it with cilantro and jalapeno and it was wonderful as well.  Not that hummus this good needs a flavor.


Serve with a sprinkle of paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.  But dont stop here, try new combinations and flavors, like adding; roasted garlic, roasted eggplant, sun dried tomatoes and basil, cayenne, extra lemon/lemon zest, dill, artichokes, avocado, kalamata olives, scallions, etc... Dip in pita chips, carrot sticks, and cucumber, or enjoy as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.



5 Minute Hummus
Adapted from this Martha Stewart Real Simple recipe.
Ingredients

Directions

  1. In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, and ¾ teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency. I usually need just 1.
  2. Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment