Thursday, November 11, 2010

better banana bread




Banana bread is one of those things I never much cared for but have recently re-discovered. Part of this quite possibly due to the hubby's fondness, as well as the discovery of this recipe. My old banana-containing recipe collection consisted of this Magnolia Bakery recipe for banana pudding alone (which is to-die-for by the way), but I am happy to now include this one in my repertoire. This bread is wonderfully moist and delicious, the flavor of the bananas accented perfectly by the cinnamon, nutmeg and hint of cloves. I prefer it without the addition of nuts, but you could of course stir them in at the very end.

{my favorite vanilla}




A few tips to ensure your banana bread turns out as good as possible:
  • Do not over-mix your batter, I prefer to use a wooden spoon alone. No need to break out the kitchen-aid or electric mixer for this one! Stir/fold flour in minimally at last step. This is a bonus in my book since there is less to clean up, and one of the things I like most about this recipe.
  • Mash bananas well with a potato masher (or fork), but don't go completely smooth, leave a few very small chunks.
  • The recipe calls for 3 to 4 bananas, bananas tend to vary much in size. I had better luck using 4 medium sized very ripe bananas.
  • Grease your pan well with butter or cooking spray (I used spray), but be generous or small chunks of banana may stick to the sides or bottom. Let bread cool completely in the pan on rack before attempting to turn out.
  • Do not overbake, watch your bread carefully and test often with a toothpick. You will want to take it out JUST as the toothpick comes out clean from the cracked center. It took me just about 50 minutes, but everyones oven varies of course.
  • Let bread cool completely before storing or it may get sticky. I wrap mine in aluminum foil and place it in the fridge and it keeps well. Storing it in the fridge also makes it easier to cleanly slice the bread.
  • If you decide to use mini loaf pans, you will need to adjust your baking time to probably around 30 minutes. I just purchased some and can't wait to test them out the next time I bake this bread!



Jacked up Banana Bread
Source: Smitten Kitchen, or original recipe Simply Recipes.

Ingredients

3 to 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted salted butter
3/4 to 1 cup light brown sugar (depending on the level of sweetness you prefer, I always use the smaller amount)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon bourbon*
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg*
Pinch of ground cloves*
1 1/2 cup of flour

*optional, leave out for more traditional bread. I added all but the Bourbon.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon, then the spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to one hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment