Tuesday, November 30, 2010

lemon risotto




This dish sounds so simple, yet it was so delicious! Sometimes it is amazing how much flavor you can get from using the simplest ingredients. I happened to have everything already on hand to make this risotto so I whipped it up last week kind of spur of the moment. It turned out to be so fantastic in every way and I am already craving it again. I just love anything lemon, and if you do too you will adore this dish. The lemon flavor is bright but not overpowering so it lightens up the risotto, and plays beautifully off the parmesan cheese. For the wine, I used some cava since it was what I happened to already have opened, and it worked really well.





For me, it may very possibly be my new go to risotto recipe. And dare I say quite possibly take the place of my old favorite, Ina's butternut squash risotto- which a friend of mine went as far as describing as "life changing!"



We enjoyed our risotto with some simple roasted asparagus on the side, but I think it could also be chopped up and stirred in at the end as well. I am also imagining this dish as the perfect bed for all kinds of seafood, especially some seared scallops or grilled shrimp. I have also been thinking about adding a shot of limoncello in when I add the wine the next time I make it since we still have an abundance from our trip to Amalfi last year. Any thoughts?




Lemon Risotto
Source: Bon Appetit May 2002

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large shallots, chopped
  • 2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
Bring broth to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Season risotto with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

3 comments: